Put a twist on chili as you know it with this White Chicken Chili recipe. It features shredded chicken, jalapeño, classic chili spices, and creamy white beans. It's ready in just over an hour, plus it's naturally gluten free and dairy free while being high in protein and fibre. The perfect cozy chili for a cold day.
This White Chicken Chili is a delicious take on chili as you know it. Swap out the ground beef for some shredded chicken, mix in some green chilies and jalapeño, and sub in white beans and corn. It's got all the classic chili flavour, with a twist! Plus it's got just the right amount of heat.
This recipe is high in protein and fibre thanks to the chicken, beans, and corn. It is naturally gluten free and easily dairy free so everyone can enjoy! Most of the ingredients are pantry staples so this is the perfect dinner recipe for a cold winter weeknight. Enjoy it topped with avocado, sour cream, and tortilla chips for scooping.
White chicken chili would also be a delicious addition to your game day spread. It's warm, cozy, filling, and delicious for everyone to enjoy. Made from start to finish in just over 1 hour!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- A delicious version of chili you may not have tried!
- All the classic chili flavour, with new ingredients.
- Uses chicken instead of beef for those who prefer to avoid red meat.
- Full of protein and fibre from white beans.
- A blended can of beans thickens the soup, so no flour is needed. And no block of cream cheese!
- Easy weeknight meal that simmers for hands off prep.
- Made with simple ingredients that are pantry staples.
- Allergy-friendly. This recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, and nut-free.
- Enjoy for lunch or dinner on a cold winter day. Or add to your game day snack spread for footabll!
What is White Chicken Chili?
White Chicken Chili is a play on traditional chili made with tomatoes and ground beef. This version has all the same chili spices like cumin, chili powder, and oregano. Instead of beef, the protein of choice is chicken, and instead of traditional black beans or pinto beans, white kidney beans are used. Green chiles and jalapeño also add to the unique colour and flavour of this chili. It is a delicious take on chili!
Here is everything you'll need to make gluten free white chicken chili:
- Olive oil
- White onion—sub any other onion you have.
- Jalapeño peppers
- Spices—cumin, dried oregano, chili powder, salt, black pepper, red chili flakes.
- Vegetable stock—or use chicken broth.
- Diced green chilies—these come in a can and are different than jalapeños, but if you can't find them, simply omit. For extra heat, add some cayenne pepper or habanero.
- White kidney beans—aka cannellini beans.
- Corn—from frozen or canned is fine.
- Cooked chicken breasts—from a rotisserie chicken or boiled and shredded.
- Sour cream—omit for dairy free.
- Garnishes: jalapeño slices, avocado cubes, fresh cilantro, tortilla strips, sour cream.
Vegetable stock or chicken stock are interchangeable. If using bouillon cubes, mix with the boiling water before adding to the chili.
White beans are best for this white chicken chili, but in a pinch, any type of beans or chickpeas would work.
I recommend using a rotisserie chicken for less prep.
Can I make this dairy free? The base of the recipe is dairy free, just don't add the sour cream at the end.
Serve white chicken chili with your favourite toppings! Sliced jalapeño, avocado, cilantro, and a dollop of sour cream are delicious additions. For more heat, add hot sauce. Using tortilla chips to scoop the chili is a fun way to eat it.
Be sure to read the recipe card below for the full ingredient list and instructions.
(Prep) Prepare ahead by cooking and chopping the chicken breasts.
(1) Place a large pot over medium heat and add the olive oil. Sauté the onion and jalapeño for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
(2) Add all the seasonings and toast in the pot for 2 minutes.
(3) Deglaze the pot with the vegetable broth.
(4) Drain and rinse 1 can of white kidney beans. Blend with ¼ cup water to form a paste. Set aside.
(5) & (6) Add the green chilis, the whole kidney beans, the blended kidney beans, the corn, and the chicken. Stir to combine and emulsify the blended beans.
(7) Bring the pot to a boil then lower to a simmer, cover, and cook on medium-low for 45 minutes.
(8) Taste for seasoning, then remove from the heat and add the cilantro, fresh lime juice, and sour cream.
(9) Stir together then serve while hot! Add your favorite toppings and enjoy with tortilla chips for crunch.
What to Eat with White Chicken Chili
White Chicken Chili is the perfect meal for lunch or dinner on a cold winter day. Or sub it into your Game Day spread as a twist on the classic chili. It is substantial enough to be eaten on its own, and can also be enjoyed with tortilla chips, crackers, breads, and more. Here are some recipes that would be delicious with it:
- Gluten Free Garlic Bread
- Gluten Free Focaccia
- Gluten Free Cheese Scone
- Gluten Free Vegan Dinner Rolls
- Top the chili with some Charred Corn
Make ahead: Prepare the white chili up to 2 days ahead of time, then heat on the stove when ready to serve.
Storage: Allow chili to cool completely, then store in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Freezing: I have not tested freezing this chili, but it should work. Allow chili to cool completely before placing in a freezer safe container. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat on the stove before serving.
Here are some of my top tips and tricks for successful white bean chicken chili:
- Use a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken for easy prep.
- Chop the chicken and blend the one can of kidney beans before assembling the chili.
- To keep this recipe dairy free, simply omit the sour cream.
- If frozen, no need to thaw the corn.
- To eat, scoop the chili with tortilla chips for crunch and texture.
Frequently Asked Questions
Most white chicken chili recipes should be gluten free, unless they contain flour as a thickener. This recipe is 100% gluten free!
This version of white chicken chili uses a can of blended white beans to thicken the chili. It forms a thick paste that emulsifies the chili wonderfully. It has the same thick texture as regular chili.
Yes! This recipe is entirely dairy free except for the sour cream added at the very end. You can simply omit it. The sour cream adds a slight tang and creaminess, but it will taste the same without the dairy!
I've seen lots of chili recipes made in the instant pot. However, I don't have one, so I cannot with confidence give instructions for this recipe.
This gluten free creamy white chicken chili is the perfect cozy recipe for a cold day. It's a unique spin on a classic chili made with similar flavours, but new ingredients like chicken, white beans, green chilies and more. Serve it for a hearty lunch or dinner, or as a part of your game day snack spread! Delicious for the whole family.
More Healthy Recipes
- Spaghetti aglio e olio
- Gluten-free chicken taquitos
- White cheddar mac and cheese
- Fettuccine alfredo without cream
- Greek chicken meatballs
- Turkey meatballs
- Air fryer trout
- Air fryer halibut
- Sausage & eggplant pasta
- Gluten-free pasta salad
- Tuscan chicken & orzo skillet
Have you made this gluten free white chicken chili? I'd very much appreciate it if you leave a 5 star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and review below, and tag me on instagram @fromoliviaskitchen!
Gluten Free White Chicken Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ white onion diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon each: dried oregano, chili powder
- ½ teaspoon each: salt, black pepper, red chili flakes
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 2 540ml cans white kidney beans aka cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups corn from frozen or canned and drained
- 2 cooked chicken breasts chopped, from a rotisserie chicken or boiled and shredded
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- 2 limes
- 2 heaping tbsp sour cream omit for dairy free
- Garnishes: jalapeño slices, avocado cubes, cilantro, tortilla chips, sour cream
- Prepare ahead by cooking and chopping the chicken breasts. Drain and rinse 1 can of white kidney beans. Blend with ¼ cup water to form a paste. Set aside.
- Place a large pot over medium heat and add the olive oil. Sauté the onion and jalapeño for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add all the seasonings and toast in the pot for 2 minutes.
- Deglaze the pot with the vegetable broth. Add the green chilies, the whole kidney beans, the blended kidney beans, the corn, and the chicken. Stir to combine and emulsify the blended beans.
- Bring the pot to a boil then lower to a simmer, cover, and cook on medium-low for 45 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning, then remove from the heat and add the cilantro, juice of 2 limes, and sour cream. Stir together then serve while hot! Add any garnishes you wish and enjoy with tortilla chips for crunch.
- Use a rotisserie chicken for easy prep. Alternatively, you can boil and shred your own chicken breasts.
- To keep this recipe dairy free, omit the sour cream.
- Make ahead: Prepare the chili up to 2 days ahead of time, then heat on the stove when ready to serve.
- Storage: Allow chili to cool completely, then store in closed containers and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- Freezing: I have not tested freezing this chili, but it should work. Allow chili to cool completely before placing in a freezer safe container. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat on the stove before serving.