This air fryer trout is the ultimate quick weeknight meal. Ready in under 20 minutes, all you need are some trout fillets and your favourite seasonings. It's an easy dinner that is also gluten-free, dairy-free, and sure to be delicious. Oven instructions included as well.
This Air Fryer Trout recipe is a quick and easy weeknight dinner that is ready in under 20 minutes! Trout is a quick cooking fish and the air fryer cooks it even faster. Season the trout fillets the way you like, or use my homemade spice blend and enjoy!
I love how quickly the air fryer cooks fish with easy clean up. Just rinse out the basket with soap and water when done! Oven instructions are included as well so you can enjoy if you don't have an air fryer.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Quick and easy protein. The trout cooks in just 10 minutes!
- Tastes similar but cheaper than salmon!
- Easy in the air fryer. No need to turn on the big hot oven.
- Use your favorite flavours. Add your own seasoning blend or use my custom one.
- Allergy-friendly. This recipe is gluten-free, nut-free, grain-free, and dairy-free.
- Pairs well with salads, potatoes, you name it. Use the trout as the main protein and add your favourite sides!
Here is everything you'll need to make this air fried trout:
- 1 lb trout fillets: fresh is best but frozen and thawed will work fine! You could use rainbow trout fillets or steelhead trout.
- Fresh lemon
- Fresh parsley
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Dried dill
- White pepper or black pepper
- Red chili flakes
- Spray oil
The above is my delicious homemade spice mix. If you don't have all of the ingredients, that's okay. If you have a spice rub or seafood seasoning that you prefer, use that! Any seasoning or sauce will work in this recipe. The written recipe is more about the method, and I suggest a delicious seasoning blend for if you need inspiration!
Here are some substitution suggestions:
- Protein: Swap the trout for salmon, cod, halibut, or just about any white fish. Cooking times may vary based on size and thickness, so pay attention to the internal temperature (145ºF is safe for seafood).
- Seasoning: If you have a favorite seafood rub or spice mix or sauce, use difference seasonings!
- To bake in the oven: Bake the seasoned trout at 400ºF for 10-15 minutes on a parchment lined baking sheet.
An air fryer is a small countertop appliance that is basically a mini convection oven. It can cook food quickly and with minimal oil by circulating hot air. It often contains an inner basket with holes to allow for this circulation. Air fryers are great for making healthier versions of your favourite foods, since less oil is needed to get that "crispiness". Use it to bake, toast, reheat, cook, etc. Basically if you can bake it in the oven, you can air fry it, and probably much faster.
I will say that it's worth it to get a larger size if you have space for it. Multiple batches are often required if you're doing larger quantities in an air fryer. I have a 5 quart Cosori brand air fryer and I love it! I highly recommend adding an air fryer to your kitchen appliance repertoire.
Note: Be careful with gluten cross-contamination in any small appliance like an air fryer. Air fryers have dozens of tiny holes for the hot air to circulate. That is the perfect place for gluten particles to hide. If you are celiac or have a severe gluten intolerance, use soap and water to clean the basket each time, or look into having your own dedicated gluten-free air fryer.
Be sure to read the recipe card below for the full ingredient list and instructions.
(Prep) Dry the fish fillets thoroughly with paper towels. In a small bowl, combine the lemon zest, chopped parsley, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, dill, salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Stir to thoroughly mix.
(1) Spread the seasoning all over the top of the trout fillets. Use your hands to press it in.
(2) Spray the basket of your air fryer lightly with olive oil, then place fish in the basket in a single layer. Spray the tops with more oil. Air fry at 400ºF for 8-10 minutes. Ensure the thickest part of the fish reaches 145ºF with a meat thermometer.
(3) Remove the trout and give it a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Serve with lemon wedges. Enjoy with rice, potatoes, salad, or your favourite sides.
What to Serve with Air Fried Trout
There are so many ways to enjoy this fish. Here are some suggestions for how to serve it:
- With salad. Enjoy on top of a salad or with pasta salad as the main dish.
- Trout bowl. Serve with rice or quinoa, veggies, and some salad for a complete meal.
- Fish tacos. Add to mini corn tortillas with pico de gallo & mexican street corn.
- With a BBQ feast. Save space on the grill by air frying the trout and serve with some shrimp skewers, gluten-free burgers or air fryer halibut.
- With potatoes, vegetables, or rice. Enjoy with classic side dishes like these air fried potato wedges or roasted broccoli and potatoes.
To bake in the oven, bake the seasoned trout at 400ºF for 10-15 minutes on a parchment lined baking sheet.
Store leftover trout fillets in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Reheat in the air fryer at 400ºF for 3 minutes.
Here are some of my top tips and tricks for successful air fryer trout:
- Pat fish very dry with a paper towel. This will ensure the spices stick.
- Pre-mix the spices. I like to do this so the fish gets an even coating of spice.
- Check the internal temperature of the fish with a probe thermometer. This will ensure it does not get overcooked. 145ºF is the proper temperature for fish.
- When the fish flakes with a fork, it is done.
- Enjoy with sides like mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes and broccoli, or crunchy kale salad.
Frequently Asked Questions
I will say that it's worth it to get a larger size if you have space for it. Multiple batches are often required if you're doing larger quantities in an air fryer. I have a Cosori brand air fryer and I love it!
The fish will will be white and opaque, and flake apart with a fork when it is ready. Or, use a temperature probe to ensure the internal temperature is 145ºF.
Yes! If you don't have an air fryer, season the fish and bake at 400ºF for 10-15 minutes until the internal temperature of the centre is 145ºF. Or check that the fish flakes apart and is opaque pink.
This air fried trout is a delicious meal that comes together in just a couple of minutes. No need to turn on the big oven when you can make these easy trout recipe in under 20 minutes total. Flavor it how you like and the whole family is sure to enjoy!
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Gluten-free chicken taquitos
- Gluten-free chicken nuggets
- Gluten-free mozzarella sticks
- Air fryer halibut
- Air fryer potato wedges
- Air fryer fried pickles
- Air fryer jalapeño poppers
- Gluten-free baked apple fritters
More Easy Dinner Recipes
Have you made this air fryer trout? I'd very much appreciate it if you leave a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ review below, and tag me on instagram @fromoliviaskitchen!
Air Fryer Trout
- 5 QT Air Fryer
- 1 lb trout fillets about 4 pieces
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper or black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- Spray oil
- In a small bowl, combine the zest from the lemon, chopped parsley, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, dill, salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Stir to thoroughly mix.
- Spread the seasoning all over the top of the trout fillets. Use your hands to press it in.
- Spray the basket of your air fryer lightly with oil, then place the trout fillets in. Spray the tops with more oil. Air fry at 400ºF for 8-10 minutes. Ensure the thickest part of the fish reaches 145ºF with a probe thermometer.
- Remove the trout and give it a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Enjoy with rice, potatoes, salad, or your favourite sides.
- Feel free to use your favourite seasoning mix in place of the spices in this recipe.
- To bake in the oven, bake the seasoned trout at 400ºF for 10-15 minutes on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Store leftover trout fillets in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Reheat in the air fryer at 400ºF for 3 minutes.