These gluten-free s'mores rice crispy treats are the perfect summer snack or dessert! Crunchy rice cereal, crushed graham crackers, and mini marshmallows topped with a luscious layer of chocolate are sure to be a hit this summer.
These s'mores rice crispy treats are the perfect summer dessert for everyone. Kids and adults alike will love their sweet & crunchy texture filled with all of the classic s'mores flavours.
An easy no-bake recipe prepared in 1 pan with easy cleanup, these s'mores rice crispy treats are sure to be a summer staple this year. Not to mention they are gluten-free, and can be made dairy-free or vegan if needed with a few tweaks.
Love rice crispy treats? Check out my Original Gluten-Free Rice Crispy Treats recipe, or my Easter edition, Mini Egg Rice Crispy Treats.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- No-bake: No need to turn on your oven in the hot summer heat to make these bars!
- Easy clean up: Molded in a parchment-lined baking dish, clean up is as easy as throwing the lining away.
- S'mores flavours without the mess: Keep the kids (and yourself) clean with these s'mores rice crispy treats. No fire, no melting chocolate everywhere, and little mess created.
Here is everything you'll need to make these gluten-free s'mores rice crispy treats:
The great thing about this recipe is that it comes together with just a few ingredients, and no baking required! A few notes on the ingredients...
- Salted butter: Adds just a bit of extra flavour. You could certainly use unsalted if that's all you have, just add a pinch of salt to the butter mixture to balance the sweetness. You could also use dairy-free butter if required.
- Mini marshmallows: You're going to need a lot for this recipe, as mini marshmallows form the sticky base that holds everything together, and they're seen throughout the bars for some extra chew and s'mores flavour. Note that I have not tested the recipe with this, but Dandies is a brand that makes vegan marshmallows. Try it as a swap if you wish. If you do, leave me a comment at the bottom of this post and let me know how they worked!
- Vanilla extract: I like to add just a touch of vanilla extract to my rice crispy treats, it really makes them taste bakery-quality.
- Gluten-free crispy rice cereal: Did you know some of the original brands you grew up with are not gluten-free? Some varieties of rice cereal contain Barley, a grain that is not gluten-free. Look for a brand that does not contain any gluten ingredients, or better yet, is certified gluten-free. There are lots of options on the market now. I like the Nature's Path Organic brand.
- Gluten-free graham crackers: These can be pricy compared to the gluten version, but crushed gluten-free graham crackers give these treats so much crunch and texture, and truly take the s'mores theme to the next level. My favourite brand is the KinniKinnick S'moreables.
- Chocolate chips: You could also use chopped chocolate. Use dairy-free chocolate if required.
Be sure to read the recipe card below for the full ingredient list and instructions.
(Prep) Before you begin, measure out all ingredient quantities. This recipe will come together quickly so having ingredients handy will be crucial. Also, prepare a 9x9 inch baking dish to be lined on the bottom and sides with parchment paper.
(1) Place 4 cups of mini marshmallows and the butter in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between each interval with a rubber spatula greased with some coconut oil. This will ensure that everything melts evenly, and that the mixture does not stick to the spatula. In total, it will take about 1-2 minutes until everything is completely melted.
(2) Once melted, add the vanilla extract (and a pinch of salt if using unsalted butter), and stir with the spatula.
(3) & (4) Working quickly, add the rice cereal, additional mini marshmallows, and crushed gluten-free graham crackers to the melted mixture.
(5) Using a rubber spatula greased with coconut oil, quickly fold all of the ingredients together so that they are evenly coated in the melted marshmallow-butter mixture.
(6) Use the rubber spatula to pour the rice crispy mixture into the prepared baking dish. Use the spatula greased with coconut oil, or put some coconut oil on your hands and firmly press the mixture into the pan until it looks like (7).
Allow the s'mores rice crispy treats to sit for 20-30 minutes to cool and solidify before moving on to step 8.
(8) Place the chocolate chips or chopped chocolate into a medium-size microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring with a spoon in between to ensure all of the chocolate melts evenly. Be careful not to overheat the chocolate. Use a spoon to help pour the melted chocolate over the top of the s'mores rice crispy treats.
(9) Use an offset spatula to help spread the chocolate evenly over the top of the treats.
Allow the chocolate-covered treats to sit for an additional 30 minutes to solidify the chocolate. Placing the baking dish in the fridge may help to speed up the process.
Once cooled and solid, lift the parchment paper from the baking dish to remove the bars. Run a large serrated knife under hot water for 20 seconds. Dry the knife, and carefully slice into 16 squares. The warm knife will help to avoid cracking the chocolate. Serve and enjoy!
S'mores rice crispy treats are best enjoyed within the first 2 days. They can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature and will last up to 4 days.
- Pre-measure all of the ingredients. It can be tedious, but having all of the quantities ready to go will help this recipe come together so much easier and quicker, which is crucial for obtaining the proper texture.
- Prepare the baking dish with parchment paper ahead of time. Another time saver!
- Work quickly. Once the marshmallow-butter mixture is melted, you only have 1-2 minutes of working time to fold in the rest of the ingredients and get the mixture into the pan to shape and press while it's warm.
- Slice the bars with a warm serrated knife. This is your best bet for trying not to crack the chocolate layer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Always be sure to read the packaging, as this may differ depending on your country. In Canada, they are not gluten-free. I recommend Nature's Path Organic or Farm Boy for gluten-free alternatives.
While I have not tested the recipe with these substitutions, here is what you could swap to make these s'mores rice crispy treats dairy-free and vegan:
Butter: Use your favourite dairy-free butter.
Mini marshmallows: See the ingredient section above for a link to a vegan marshmallow brand called Dandies.
Graham crackers: Read the label to find a brand that fits your dietary restrictions. KinniKinnick S'moreables are gluten-free, dairy-free, and do not contain eggs.
Chocolate: Use your favourite dairy-free chocolate chips, chunks, or bar. I like Enjoy Life Foods.
Yes! For thinner rice crispy treats, prepare in a parchment-lined 9x13 inch baking dish. Follow all of the same ingredient quantities, except you may want to increase the chocolate to about 2 cups to cover the larger surface area.
If your s'mores rice crispy treats turn out hard and crumbly, there may have been an error in measuring the ingredient proportions. Ensure you are using the correct amount of butter and mini marshmallows, and not using too much rice cereal.
If your s'mores rice crispy treats turn out super sticky, there may have been an error in measuring the ingredient proportions. Ensure you are using the correct amount of butter, mini marshmallows, and rice cereal. Also ensure that you've packed the warm mixture as firmly into the pan as you can.
And there you have it, a summertime s'mores recipe that is gluten-free, easy and delicious. These s'mores rice crispy treats are perfect as a snack or even as a dessert centrepiece. Kid-friendly and adult-friendly, these are sure to fly off your countertop!
Have you made these gluten-free s'mores rice crispy treats? I'd very much appreciate it if you leave a comment below and tag me on instagram @fromoliviaskitchen!
More Rice Crispy Treat Recipes
More Desserts You'll Love
S'mores Rice Crispy Treats
- ¼ cup salted butter, use dairy-free if required
- 4 + 1½ cups mini marshmallows
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups gluten-free crispy rice cereal
- 100 g crushed gluten-free graham crackers, I use about 6 KinniKinnick S'moreables
- 1½ cups chocolate chips or chopped chocolate, use dairy-free if required
- Begin by pre-measuring all ingredients and crushing the gluten-free graham crackers, as this recipe will come together quickly. Prepare a 9x9 inch baking dish with parchment paper covering the bottom and sides.
- Place 4 cups of mini marshmallows in a large microwave-safe bowl with the butter. Microwave in 30 second intervals until melted, stirring with a coconut oil-greased rubber spatula in between. Will take between 1-2 minutes total time.
- Once melted and combined, add in the vanilla extract and mix with the spatula.
- Working quickly, add the crispy rice cereal, crushed graham crackers, and additional mini marshmallows to the large bowl with the melted mixture. Fold together with the coconut oil-greased rubber spatula so that everything is evenly coated.
- Immediately transfer the mixture to the parchment-lined baking dish. Using the greased rubber spatula, or using your hands covered in coconut oil, firmly press the rice crispy mixture into the pan to form a large square. Allow to sit for 30 minutes to cool.
- After 30 minutes, place the chocolate chips or chopped chocolate into a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring with a spoon each time, until just fully melted and smooth.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the top of the rice crispy block, still in the parchment lined baking pan. Use an offset spatula to smooth the chocolate into an even layer. Allow to rest for another 30 minutes for the chocolate to cool and harden. Place the baking dish in the fridge to speed up this process.
- Once the chocolate layer has fulled solidified, remove the parchment paper and rice crispy block from the baking dish. Run a large serrated knife under hot water for 15-20 seconds. This will help to avoid cracking the chocolate. Dry the knife, and carefully slice the block into 16 squares.
- Serve and enjoy! S'mores rice crispy treats will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days.