This skinny spicy margarita has all the heat with less of the sugar. Made with fresh citrus and a small amount of natural sweetener, this is a delicious spicy cocktail that you can feel good about drinking. It is gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan.
This Skinny Spicy Margarita is the perfect summer drink to bring the heat! It's got all the flavour of your favourite classic margarita, just with less of the sugar. So go ahead, have another one!
What makes a spicy margarita is the addition of jalapeño slices and a spicy tajin rim. What makes a skinny margarita is the removal of the classic triple sec or orange liquor and replacing it with fresh orange juice. There's also just a small amount of agave nectar or honey added for low sugar. Basically, it's lower sugar than your traditional margarita with natural ingredients!
Plus this spicy skinny margarita recipe is super easy to make in just 3 minutes with a few simple ingredients. You can also batch it in a pitcher for summer BBQs, Cinco de Mayo, or whatever the occasion is! Keep reading to learn how to make the best skinny spicy margarita recipe.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- All the spicy marg flavour, less of the sugar. Using fresh orange juice instead of orange liqueur lowers the sugar in the drink, as well as using just a tiny bit of honey or agave syrup.
- The perfect summer cocktail! These skinny spicy margs are easy to batch and pair great with a summer BBQ.
- Made in 3 minutes. Mix, shake, enjoy!
- Allergy-friendly. This cocktail is gluten-free, nut-free, and dairy-free/vegan.
Here are all the fresh ingredients you'll need to make a skinny spicy margarita:
- Tajin or spicy salt rim
- Tequila: I use blanco tequila
- Fresh lime: about the juice of 1 lime, plus a lime wedge for garnish in the glass
- Orange juice: about the juice of ¼ naval orange, or you could use juice from a carton
- Agave syrup or honey to sweeten
- Fresh jalapeños for the spice!
There are many ways to change up this skinny jalapeno margarita based on what you have on hand. Here are some substitution suggestions:
- No tajin? Try lining the rim of your glass with a mixture of chili powder, salt, lime zest, and cayenne powder.
- Silver or gold tequila? I like to use silver tequila because it has a smoother, lighter taste. If you like gold, go for it!
- Vegan option: Use agave or simple syrup instead of honey.
- Sugar-free option: Omit the sweetener or use a sugar-free simple syrup.
- Fresh or bottled citrus? Fresh lime and orange juice is always best, but bottled will do in a pinch.
Be sure to read the recipe card below for the full recipe of how to make a skinny spicy margarita.
(1) Rub half a lime across the rim of a short glass. Dust the area with tajin to create a spicy salt rim. Set aside.
(2) To a cocktail shaker or mason jar, add ice cubes, tequila, the juice of 1 lime, the orange juice, 1 teaspoon sweetener, and 3-4 jalapeño slices.
(3) Shake for 30 seconds until frosty.
(4) Add fresh ice to the rimmed glass and strain the margarita into the glass. Add an extra jalapeño slice, orange peel, and a slice of lime to the drink for garnish. Enjoy!
What to Serve with a Spicy Margarita
This skinny spicy margarita is the perfect drink to accompany your summer BBQ, Cinco de Mayo party, or relaxing long weekend in the sun.
Here are some delicious summer dishes to serve with one:
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Gluten-Free Salsa Pinwheels
- Gluten-Free Taquitos
- Gluten-Free Pasta Salad
- Mango Pico de Gallo
- Gluten-Free Burgers
- Gluten-Free S'mores Cookies
- Gluten-Free S'mores Brownies
- No Bake Blueberry Cheesecake
Check out more gluten-free summer recipes!
How to Batch Margaritas
If you're serving a crowd, multiply the ingredient quantities by however many drinks you'd like to make. Instead of adding to a shaker, add ingredients to a large pitcher. Stir well and add lots of ice for dilution. Store the pitcher in the fridge until ready to serve. Pour into rimmed glasses and add jalapeño slices and lime wedges to serve. It gets even spicier in the fridge the next day!
Here are some of my top tips and tricks for successful margaritas:
- Remove the jalapeño seeds for less spice, muddle the slices for more spice.
- Use the juice of a fresh orange, or bottled orange juice in a pinch. Try to go for no added sugars.
- Shake until cold and frosty.
- Be sure to strain this one. You don't want pulp in your drinks!
- I like to rim only half the glass so I have an option to drink without the spicy salt.
- If you can't find tajin, mix together chili powder, cayenne, salt, and lime zest.
Frequently Asked Questions
A skinny margarita typically removes the triple sec or orange liqueur of a margarita and replaces it with orange juice, and less sweetener in the form of agave typically. A skinny margarita has less sugar and calories.
I like to use silver or blanco tequila because it has a lighter colour and taste. Gold tequila is aged longer and has a darker colour. Either could be used in a margarita.
Most bartenders will know that a skinny margarita has reduced sugar and possible no orange liqueur. To be specific, ask for a margarita, sub orange juice for liqueur, and no sweetener/syrup.
This recipe has approximately 175 calories and 7g of sugar per margarita. This is quite a bit less than a traditional margarita that can have upwards of 270 calories and 18g of sugar.
This healthier margarita is the perfect cocktail for summer! Pair it with your favourite BBQ foods and enjoy on a hot summer day. Feel good about drinking this skinny version!
More Gluten-Free Drinks
Have you made this skinny spicy marg? I'd very much appreciate it if you leave a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ review below, and tag me on instagram @fromoliviaskitchen!
Skinny Spicy Margarita Recipe
- 1 teaspoon tajin or spicy salt rim
- 2 oz tequila I use blanco tequila
- 1½ oz fresh lime juice about the juice of 1 lime
- 1 oz orange juice about the juice of ¼ naval orange
- 1 teaspoon agave or honey
- ½ fresh jalapeño
- Rub half a lime across the rim of a short glass. Dust the area with tajin to create a spicy salt rim. Set aside.
- To a cocktail shaker, add ice cubes, tequila, the juice of 1 lime, the orange juice, 1 teaspoon sweetener, and 3-4 slices of jalapeño. Shake for 30 seconds until frosty.
- Add fresh ice to the rimmed glass and strain the margarita into the glass. Add jalapeño slices and a lime wedge to the drink for garnish. Enjoy!
- Vegan option: Use agave instead of honey.
- Sugar-free option: Omit the sweetener or use a sugar-free simple syrup instead.
- For less spice: Remove the seeds of the jalapeño before slicing.
- How to batch margaritas: Multiply the ingredient quantities by however many drinks you'd like to make. Instead of adding to a shaker, add ingredients to a large pitcher. Stir well and add some ice for dilution. Pour into rimmed glasses and add jalapeño slices and lime wedges to serve.