These healthy burger bowls combine all the flavours of a classic burger in a low carb, easy to prepare bowl. They are gluten free, dairy free, and easily customizable for everyone to enjoy!
These healthy burger bowls are a gluten free, dairy free, and low carb version of a classic burger.
Seasoned beef and burger toppings like onions, pickles, & cheese on a bed of crisp lettuce, drizzled with a delectable special sauce... what could be better?!
Whether you eat low carb, have a dietary restriction, or want a fun and customizable meal for a crowd, this healthy burger bowl recipe is for you!
Perfect for game day, a get together, or just a fun family meal. Anyone and everyone is sure to love a healthy burger bowl. Keep on reading to learn how to make them!
The great thing about these healthy burger bowls is how customizable they are! You can absolutely choose which toppings you want to include. Here are some of my recommendations for the ultimate burger experience:
For the burger meat
- Ground beef: The star of the burger show! You could really use any ground meat you prefer, or even a vegan alternative.
- Garlic powder: Gives the meat great flavour
- Gluten free Worcestershire sauce: Wow is this an underrated ingredient! I've avoided this sauce for years as it is normally not gluten free (often contains soy sauce which is also typically not gf), however I randomly found this safe option at the grocery store (pictured below) when I wasn't even looking. Worcestershire really is the essence of the "hamburger" flavour, and if you can find it, it's critical to the flavour of the beef! If you can't find a gluten free version though, it is totally fine to omit.
- Salt & pepper: Season to taste!
For the special sauce
- Mayonnaise, ketchup, & mustard: The combination of these 3 classic burger sauces is the essence of the special sauce. Might sound odd but trust me - it's great!
- Relish or chopped pickles: Some type of pickle gives great flavour and texture to the sauce.
- Lemon juice: Just a little goes a long way to amplify the flavours! Trust me, it makes this sauce 10/10.
- Spices: Garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, salt, and pepper give the sauce great flavour. You'll want to put this on everything.
For burger bowl assembly
- Lettuce of choice: Iceberg is a burger classic. I also like to add a bit of spring mix for their nutrients. Romaine, spinach, whatever you prefer!
- Cherry tomatoes: I love cherry tomatoes. Not grape tomatoes. Cherry tomatoes. They have such a pleasant sweetness and "pop" that adds a great texture to these bowls.
- Dill pickles: I'm obsessed with pickles. I love the crunch and dill flavour they add to the burger bowls.
- Red onion: It's so crisp and crunchy. A great onion to eat raw.
- Cheese of choice: The cheese I'm using here is dairy-free cheddar, but use whatever you prefer! A spicy havarti would be awesome.
- Hot banana peppers: I love spicy, but if you don't then feel free to omit. But dang these are good.
How to make healthy burger bowls
These bowls are super customizable. If you've got a family or a crowd to feed, a great idea is to set up an assembly line so that everyone can add the toppings they like best! Here's how to start.
Making the burger meat
Begin by heating a large skillet over medium. Add the ground beef and cook until brown (6-7 minutes). Be sure to continuously stir and break it up into small pieces. Once cooked, add the seasonings and gluten free Worcestershire sauce. You can prepare this in advance and store in the fridge or add directly to the bowls. I suggest serving warm on the bowls.
Making the special sauce
This one's easy! All you have to do is mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. You can prepare the sauce ahead of time and store in the fridge, or add it directly to the bowls. It tastes almost like a thousand island-type dressing. You'll want to drizzle this on everything.
Assembling the bowls
Then it's time to have some fun!
To build the bowls, start with a good serving of lettuce. Add your toppings of choice, drizzle with some special sauce, and mix! I suggest you serve the beef warm on the salad.
This is a great meal to set up in an assembly line so everyone can choose what toppings they want. Hope you enjoy!
These healthy burger bowls are sure to be a fan favourite at your next game day feast, get together, or family dinner. It’s the perfect meal for anyone and everyone to enjoy!
Have you made these healthy burger bowls? Be sure to leave a comment telling me how much you loved it, and tag me on instagram @fromoliviaskitchen! I hope you enjoy as much as I do!
More Gluten-Free Mains
Healthy Burger Bowls (Gluten Free, Dairy Free)
- 1 lb ground beef or a vegan alternative
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon gluten free Worcestershire sauce French's has a gluten free option - if you can't find it, simply omit
- ½ teaspoon salt
- few cracks of black pepper
- 3 tablespoon mayonnaise can use vegan mayo
- 2 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1½ tablespoon relish or chopped dill pickles
- ¼ teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon each: paprika and onion powder
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1 package lettuce of choice
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced dill pickles
- 1 cup cheese of choice can use dairy-free shreds
- ½ cup banana peppers
- ½ red onion, sliced
- Heat a large skillet over medium. Add the ground beef and cook until brown (6-7 minutes). Be sure to break it up continuously. Once cooked, add the seasonings and gluten free Worcestershire sauce. You can prepare this in advance and store in the fridge or add directly to the bowls.
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Prepare ahead of time and store in the fridge or add directly to the bowls.
Burger Bowl Assembly
- To build the bowls, start with a good serving of lettuce. Add your toppings of choice, drizzle with some special sauce, and mix! The beef can be served warm or cool. This is a great meal to set up in an assembly line so everyone can choose what toppings they want. Hope you enjoy!
Just made this and it’s delicious. Thank you.
Olivia Parsons says
Thanks for your comment, Rachel. I'm so glad you enjoyed the burger bowls!
SO GOOD! Didn't expect to like this THAT much!
Olivia Parsons says
Thanks Bonnie! I'm so glad you loved these bowls!
Is there nutrition info on this salad! I'm counting calories! Any info would help! Thank you!
Olivia Parsons says
Hi Amanda—I have just updated the recipe card to include that. Thank you and enjoy!
Fantastic! It gave me all the flavour hits to satisfy my love for burgers, in a much lighter package. My husband loved it too. It will be added to the rotation.
Olivia Parsons says
So glad you enjoyed!