Enjoy the taste of a spiced pumpkin pie in this protein-packed smoothie! All you need are 6 ingredients and 3 minutes to create this delicious protein shake packed with healthy fats and fall flavours. It is gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan.
This Pumpkin Spice Protein Shake tastes like a fall dessert! It is the perfect way to satisfy your pumpkin pie cravings while consuming 20-30 grams of protein, healthy fats, with fall flavors and warm spices. Pumpkin pie spice, maple syrup, and almond butter flavour real pumpkin purée to taste like a slice of pumpkin pie.
Prepared in 3 minutes from 6 ingredients, this pumpkin pie smoothie recipe is a great option for when you need a quick pick-me-up with a strong pumpkin flavor!
Enjoy as an energizing morning smoothie, post-workout shake, or booze it up by adding your favourite alcohol for a fall frozen drink. Keep reading to learn just how easy it is to make this pumpkin season.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- So much fall flavour! Tastes like an pumpkin pie, yet is healthy enough for breakfast!
- Made with healthy ingredients and no artificial sweeteners.
- Pumpkin is high in vitamin A and vitamin C.
- A filling snack. Packed with 20-30 g protein and healthy fats.
- Just 6 ingredients, made in 3 minutes.
- Perfect for breakfast, post-workout, snack or dessert.
- Gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan. Omit the almond butter for nut-free too.
Want more smoothie ideas? You'll also like this apple pie protein smoothie, cinnamon roll protein shake, and peach cobbler protein shake.
More pumpkin recipes: gluten free pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, gluten free dairy free pumpkin tiramisu, pumpkin spice espresso martini, pumpkin banana muffins.
Here are all the ingredients you'll need to make this pumpkin pie protein shake:
This smoothie will have the coldest, creamiest texture if you freeze the pumpkin into cubes overnight. If you don't though, that's okay. Throw in a few ice cubes to chill the smoothie.
- Pumpkin purée: Canned pumpkin is fine, just make sure it's not pumpkin pie filling!
- Vanilla protein powder: I like to use whey, but vegan protein will work too. I like to use the premier protein vanilla milkshake whey protein powder.
- Almond butter: This makes the shake creamy and forms almond milk when blended with the water. You could also use peanut butter or any other nut butter.
- Maple syrup: Omit if you don't want added sugar, but I love the maple flavor with pumpkin.
- Pumpkin pie spice: You can buy this pre-blended, or make your own with 3 tablespoon cinnamon, 2 teaspoon nutmeg, 2 teaspoon ginger, 1 teaspoon cloves, and 1 teaspoon allspice. This will make more than this recipe requires.
- Shot of espresso: I like to add this for a caffeine boost and a pumpkin spice latte flavor.
- Water (& ice cubes if you want)
- Whipped cream: Make it fun like a slice of pumpkin pie with a little whipped cream and dusting of pumpkin spice. Use vegan whipped cream if preferred.
Amp up the nutrition of this pumpkin pie protein smoothie recipe with any of your favourite add ins! Try some of these for health benefits:
- Greek yogurt: 1-2 large tablespoons. Or if you're vegan try almond milk yogurt or coconut yogurt.
- Scoop of applesauce for an apple pumpkin smoothie.
- Collagen powder
- Chia seeds: Blend them in. Start with 1 tablespoon and increase to 2 if desired.
- Flax Seed: 1-2 tablespoons
- Oats: Try adding 2-4 tablespoon of hearty oats. Use rolled or quick oats. A delicious way to add even more pie flavour!
- Spinach: 1 large handful.
- Vanilla extract for more vanilla flavor.
- More frozen fruits like blueberries, blackberries, etc. Be sure to increase the water amount if adding more fruit.
- and more!
There are many ways to change up this smoothie depending on your mood. Here are some substitution suggestions:
- If you don't have time to pre-freeze the pumpkin, simple use the puree from the jar and add a few ice cubes. Or add half a frozen banana for creaminess.
- Water. Substitute with your milk of choice if you prefer. Or unsweetened almond milk, oat milk, coconut milk, soy milk, cashew milk, etc. Some apple juice would be a yummy addition.
- Vegan. Use a scoop of protein powder that is vegan.
- Add booze. 1-2 oz whiskey, bourbon, or rum are my picks for a delicious frozen fall cocktail!
- Want a smoothie bowl? Reduce the water to ¼ cup. Use the tamper of your blender to mix and stir until smooth. Add a small amount more liquid if needed. Blending will take several minutes.
Be sure to read the recipe card below for the full recipe.
(1) Add all ingredients to the bucket of a high-speed blender.
Blend for 30-60 seconds until it's a creamy smoothie.
(2) Pour into a glass, top with whipped cream and a dusting of pumpkin pie spice if you wish, and enjoy immediately!
How to Serve
There are many ways to enjoy this healthy pumpkin smoothie. Here are some suggestions:
- Enjoy as a healthy breakfast or snack on the go.
- Make a blended cocktail by blending in 1-2 oz whiskey or bourbon.
- Enjoy at brunch with some of these delicious recipes:
- Gluten-free pumpkin scones
- 4 ingredient vegan pancakes
- Pumpkin banana muffins
- Gluten-free baked apple fritters
- Gluten-free english muffins
- Gluten-free bagels
Make Ahead & Storage
Note that this smoothie recipe is best served and consumed fresh after preparing. It should not be made ahead of time, nor stored for later.
If you're hosting a crowd of people, this pumpkin spice smoothie is easy to scale up (depending on your blender capacity). Double the recipe for two large smoothies or 4 smaller smoothies.
Here are some of my top tips and tricks for a successful smoothie:
- Use frozen ingredients. This smoothie will have the coldest, creamiest texture if you freeze the pumpkin purée into cubes overnight. If you don't though, that's okay. Throw in a few ice cubes to chill the smoothie.
- Add the water slowly. You can always add more to thin it out.
- Use a high-powered blender. My two favourite investments are the ZWILLING ENFINIGY power blender or the Vitamix E310.
- Blend for 30-60 seconds until thoroughly pulverized.
- Add extra nutritional benefits with chia seeds, flax seeds, collagen powder, spinach, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, if you use vegan protein powder.
Totally! Reduce the water to ¼ cup. Use the tamper of your blender to mix and stir until smooth. Add a small amount more liquid if needed. Blending will take several minutes.
This delicious pumpkin protein shake recipe is a great way to enjoy breakfast, post-workout, or just a mid-day snack! The perfect drink for autumn, using seasonal produce and flavors. It blends up quickly so you can get to enjoying the fall season!
More Smoothie Recipes
- Apple Pie Protein Smoothie
- Cinnamon Roll Protein Shake
- Peach Cobbler Smoothie
- Blackberry Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Bahama Mama Tropical Smoothie
- Booster Juice "The Original" Copycat
- Booster Juice "Mango Hurricane" Copycat
Have you made this pumpkin protein smoothie? I'd very much appreciate it if you leave a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ review below, and tag me on instagram @fromoliviaskitchen!
Pumpkin Spice Protein Shake
- High-power blender
- ½ cup pumpkin purée frozen into cubes (about 5 cubes)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder I use whey
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ⅔ cup water
- 1 shot espresso optional for a pumpkin spice latte flavor
- Optional topping of whipped cream & pumpkin spice dusting
- Add all ingredients to the bucket of a high powered blender. Blend for 30-60 seconds until smooth.
- Pour into a glass, top with whipped cream and a dusting of pumpkin pie spice if you wish, and enjoy immediately!
- This smoothie will have the coldest, creamiest texture if you freeze the pumpkin purée into cubes overnight. If you don't though, that's okay. Throw in a few ice cubes to chill the smoothie.
- My favorite high powered blenders are the ZWILLING ENFINIGY power blender, and the Vitamix E310.
- Additional nutrition: Add a handful of spinach, collagen powder, chia seeds, or any other nutritional supplements to bulk up this smoothie.