Enjoy the taste of a cinnamon roll in this protein-packed smoothie! All you need are 5 ingredients and 3 minutes to create this delicious shake that tastes like a dessert, yet is packed with protein and healthy fats. It is gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan.
This Cinnamon Roll Protein Shake tastes like a dessert! Yet it is a great way to consume 20-30 grams of protein, healthy fats, and fruit. Cinnamon and almond butter flavour frozen bananas to taste like a toasty cinnamon bun with a creamy texture.
Prepared in 3 minutes from 5 ingredients, this cinnamon roll protein smoothie is a great option for when you need a quick pick-me-up!
Enjoy as an energizing morning smoothie, post-workout shake, or booze it up by adding your favourite alcohol for a cozy frozen drink. Keep reading to learn just how easy it is to make.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- So much fall flavour! Tastes like a cinnamon bun, yet is healthy enough for breakfast!
- Healthy yet tastes like a dessert.
- A filling snack. Packed with 20-30 g protein and healthy fats.
- Just 5 ingredients, made in 3 minutes.
- Perfect for breakfast, post-workout, snack or dessert.
- Gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan. Omit the almond butter for nut-free too.
Here are all the ingredients you'll need to make this cinnamon rolls protein shake:
This smoothie will have the coldest, creamiest texture if you freeze the applesauce into cubes overnight. If you don't though, that's okay. Throw in a few ice cubes to chill the smoothie.
- Frozen banana: I like the creaminess that a little banana adds to this smoothie. If you don't like banana, just add more ice to make the smoothie cold.
- Vanilla protein powder: I like to use whey, but vegan protein will work too. I like to use the premier protein vanilla milkshake whey protein powder. Protein powder is the best way to increase your protein intake.
- Almond butter: This makes the shake creamy and forms almond milk when blended with the water. You could also use peanut butter or cashew butter.
- Cinnamon: Use as much or as little as you like for that iconic cinnamon flavor.
- Espresso: I like to add espresso or coffee to double this protein smoothie as my morning pick me up! Don't add it if you don't like coffee.
- Water (& ice cubes if you want)
Amp up the nutrition of this cinnamon protein smoothie recipe with any of your favourite add ins! Try some of these for health benefits:
- Greek yogurt: 1-2 large tablespoons. Or if you're vegan try almond milk yogurt or coconut yogurt.
- Collagen powder
- Chia seeds: Blend them in. Start with 1 tablespoon and increase to 2 if desired.
- Flax Seeds: 1-2 tablespoons
- Oats: Try adding 2-4 tablespoon of hearty oats. Use rolled or quick oats. A delicious way to add even more cinnamon bun flavour!
- Spinach: 1 large handful.
- Pure maple syrup or honey if you like it sweeter.
- More frozen fruits like strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc. Be sure to increase the water amount if adding more fruit. This will turn it into a fruity cinnamon smoothie.
There are many ways to change up this smoothie depending on your mood. Here are some substitution suggestions:
- Banana. If you don't like banana in your smoothies, feel free to omit it and add about ½ cup ice cubes, or another frozen fruit. The smoothie may be less creamy and more icy, but the cinnamon flavour will be more prominent.
- Water. Substitute with your milk of choice if you prefer. Or unsweetened almond milk, oat milk, coconut milk, soy milk, etc. Some apple juice would be a great addition.
- Vegan. Use a scoop of protein powder that is vegan.
- Add booze. 1-2 oz whiskey (fireball cinnamon whiskey would be great!) or vodka is my pick for a delicious frozen fall cocktail!
- Want a smoothie bowl? Reduce the water to ¼ cup. Use the tamper of your blender to mix and stir until smooth. Add a small amount more liquid if needed. Blending will take several minutes.
Be sure to read the recipe card below for the full recipe.
(1) Add all ingredients to the bucket of a high-speed blender.
(2) Blend for 30-60 seconds until it's a creamy smoothie.
(3) Pour into a glass and enjoy immediately!
How to Serve
There are many ways to enjoy this healthy cinnamon smoothie. Here are some suggestions:
- Enjoy as a healthy breakfast or snack on the go.
- Make a blended cocktail by blending in 1-2 oz whiskey or vodka.
- Enjoy at brunch with some of these delicious recipes:
- Gluten-free pumpkin scones
- 4 ingredient vegan pancakes
- Pumpkin banana muffins
- Gluten-free baked apple fritters
- Gluten-free english muffins
- Gluten-free bagels
Make Ahead & Storage
Note that this smoothie recipe is best served and consumed fresh after preparing. It should not be made ahead of time, nor stored for later.
If you're hosting a crowd of people, this cinnamon smoothie is easy to scale up (depending on your blender capacity). Double the recipe for two large smoothies or 4 smaller smoothies.
Here are some of my top tips and tricks for a successful smoothie:
- Use only frozen fruit. This will result in the coldest, thickest, creamiest smoothie.
- Add the liquid slowly. You can always add more to thin it out.
- Use a high-powered blender. My two favourite investments are the ZWILLING ENFINIGY power blender or the Vitamix E310.
- Blend for 30-60 seconds until thoroughly pulverized.
- Add extra nutritional benefits with chia seeds, flax seeds, collagen powder, spinach, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, if you use vegan protein powder.
If you don't like banana in your smoothies, feel free to omit it and add about ½ cup ice or other frozen fruit like blueberries or strawberries. The smoothie may be less creamy and more icy, with less of the cinnamon flavour.
Totally! Reduce the water to ¼ cup. Use the tamper of your blender to mix and stir until smooth. Add a small amount more liquid if needed. Blending will take several minutes.
This delicious cinnamon bun smoothie is perfect for breakfast, post-workout, or just a mid-day snack! The perfect drink for fall and winter seasons, but can be enjoyed any time of year when you want a huge cinnamon kick. It's made with simple ingredients and blends up quickly so you can get to enjoying!
More Smoothie Recipes
- Apple Pie Protein Smoothie
- Peach Cobbler Smoothie
- Blackberry Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Bahama Mama Tropical Smoothie
- Booster Juice "The Original" Copycat
- Booster Juice "Mango Hurricane" Copycat
Have you made this cinnamon protein smoothie? I'd very much appreciate it if you leave a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ review below, and tag me on instagram @fromoliviaskitchen!
Cinnamon Roll Protein Shake
- High-power blender
- ½ frozen banana
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder I use whey
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 shot of espresso optional
- ⅔ cups water
- Few ice cubes
- Add all ingredients to the bucket of a high powered blender. Blend for 30-60 seconds until smooth.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy immediately!
- I like to use whey protein, but plant based will work too. Try chocolate protein powder for a different flavour!
- My favorite high powered blenders are the ZWILLING ENFINIGY power blender, and the Vitamix E310.
- Additional nutrition: Add a handful of spinach, collagen powder, chia seeds, or any other nutritional supplements to bulk up this smoothie.