Enjoy the taste of a spiced apple pie in this protein-packed smoothie! All you need are 5 ingredients and 3 minutes to create this delicious healthy shake packed with protein, healthy fats, and fall flavours. It is gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan.
This Apple Pie Protein Smoothie tastes like a fall dessert! Yet it is a great way to consume 20-30 grams of protein, healthy fats, and delicious fresh fruits. Cinnamon and almond butter flavour applesauce to taste like a slice of apple pie.
Prepared in 3 minutes from 5 ingredients, this apple pie smoothie recipe is a great option for when you need a quick pick-me-up!
Enjoy as an energizing morning smoothie, post-workout shake, or booze it up by adding your favourite alcohol for a fall frozen drink. Keep reading to learn just how easy it is to make.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- So much fall flavour! Tastes like an apple pie, yet is healthy enough for breakfast!
- Healthy yet tastes like a dessert.
- A filling snack. Packed with 20-30 g protein and healthy fats.
- Just 5 ingredients, made in 3 minutes.
- Perfect for breakfast, post-workout, snack or dessert.
- Gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan. Omit the almond butter for nut-free too.
Here are all the ingredients you'll need to make this apple pie protein shake:
This smoothie will have the coldest, creamiest texture if you freeze the applesauce into cubes overnight. If you don't though, that's okay. Throw in a few ice cubes to chill the smoothie.
- Unsweetened applesauce: Make sure to buy unsweetened for no added sugars.
- Vanilla protein powder: I like to use whey, but vegan protein will work too. I like to use the premier protein vanilla milkshake whey protein powder.
- Almond butter: This makes the shake creamy and forms almond milk when blended with the water. You could also use peanut butter.
- Cinnamon: Use as much or as little as you like for that spicy apple pie flavour.
- Lemon juice: Often used in apple pie, this adds a nice background flavour plus lemon juice is good for you!
- Water (& ice cubes if you want)
Amp up the nutrition of this apple pie protein smoothie recipe with any of your favourite add ins! Try some of these for health benefits:
- Greek yogurt: 1-2 large tablespoons. Or if you're vegan try almond milk yogurt or coconut yogurt.
- Scoop of pumpkin purée for an apple pumpkin smoothie. Or warm spice like ginger, cloves, nutmeg, or apple pie spice.
- Collagen powder
- Chia seeds: Blend them in. Start with 1 tablespoon and increase to 2 if desired.
- Flax Seeds: 1-2 tablespoons
- Oats: Try adding 2-4 tablespoon of hearty oats. Use rolled or quick oats. A delicious way to add even more pie flavour!
- Spinach: 1 large handful.
- Pure maple syrup or honey if you like it sweeter.
- More frozen fruits like blueberries, blackberries, etc. Be sure to increase the water amount if adding more fruit.
- and more!
There are many ways to change up this smoothie depending on your mood. Here are some substitution suggestions:
- If you don't have time to pre-freeze the applesauce, simple use the applesauce and add a few ice cubes. Or add half a frozen banana for creaminess to the apple shake.
- If you don't have applesauce, you could use fresh apples. Try 1 apple, peeled and cored, instead. You could use sweet apples or granny smith apples, whichever you like.
- Water. Substitute with your milk of choice if you prefer. Or unsweetened almond milk, oat milk, coconut milk, soy milk, etc. Some apple juice would be a great addition.
- Vegan. Use a scoop of protein powder that is vegan.
- Add booze. 1-2 oz whiskey or bourbon is my pick for a delicious frozen fall cocktail!
- Want a smoothie bowl? Reduce the water to ¼ cup. Use the tamper of your blender to mix and stir until smooth. Add a small amount more liquid if needed. Blending will take several minutes.
Be sure to read the recipe card below for the full recipe.
(1) Add all ingredients to the bucket of a high-speed blender.
(2) Blend for 30-60 seconds until it's a creamy smoothie.
(3) Pour into a glass and enjoy immediately!
How to Serve
There are many ways to enjoy this healthy apple smoothie. Here are some suggestions:
- Enjoy as a healthy breakfast or snack on the go.
- Make a blended cocktail by blending in 1-2 oz whiskey or bourbon.
- Enjoy at brunch with some of these delicious recipes:
- Gluten-free pumpkin scones
- 4 ingredient vegan pancakes
- Pumpkin banana muffins
- Gluten-free baked apple fritters
- Gluten-free english muffins
- Gluten-free bagels
Make Ahead & Storage
Note that this smoothie recipe is best served and consumed fresh after preparing. It should not be made ahead of time, nor stored for later.
If you're hosting a crowd of people, this apple cinnamon smoothie is easy to scale up (depending on your blender capacity). Double the recipe for two large smoothies or 4 smaller smoothies.
Here are some of my top tips and tricks for a successful smoothie:
- Use frozen ingredients. This smoothie will have the coldest, creamiest texture if you freeze the applesauce into cubes overnight. If you don't though, that's okay. Throw in a few ice cubes to chill the smoothie.
- Add the liquid slowly. You can always add more to thin it out.
- Use a high-powered blender. My two favourite investments are the ZWILLING ENFINIGY power blender or the Vitamix E310.
- Blend for 30-60 seconds until thoroughly pulverized.
- Add extra nutritional benefits with chia seeds, flax seeds, collagen powder, spinach, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, if you use vegan protein powder.
Instead of applesauce, try adding 1 peeled and cored apple.
Totally! Reduce the water to ¼ cup. Use the tamper of your blender to mix and stir until smooth. Add a small amount more liquid if needed. Blending will take several minutes.
This delicious apple pie smoothie is perfect for breakfast, post-workout, or just a mid-day snack! The perfect drink for fall apple season, using seasonal produce and flavors. It blends up quickly so you can get to enjoying!
More Smoothie Recipes
- Peach Cobbler Smoothie
- Blackberry Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Bahama Mama Tropical Smoothie
- Booster Juice "The Original" Copycat
- Booster Juice "Mango Hurricane" Copycat
Have you made this apple pie protein smoothie? I'd very much appreciate it if you leave a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ review below, and tag me on instagram @fromoliviaskitchen!
Apple Pie Protein Smoothie
- High-power blender
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce frozen into cubes
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder I use whey
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ⅔ cup water
- Add all ingredients to the bucket of a high powered blender. Blend for 30-60 seconds until smooth.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy immediately!
- This smoothie will have the coldest, creamiest texture if you freeze the applesauce into cubes overnight. If you don't though, that's okay. Throw in a few ice cubes to chill the smoothie.
- Instead of applesauce, try 1 peeled and cored apple.
- My favorite high powered blenders are the ZWILLING ENFINIGY power blender, and the Vitamix E310.
- Additional nutrition: Add a handful of spinach, collagen powder, chia seeds, or any other nutritional supplements to bulk up this smoothie.