These baked sweet potato slices are an easy hands-off side dish. Sliced sweet potatoes are flavored with butter, honey, thyme, and sage then baked in the oven with no need to flip. They are a great holiday side served with turkey, ham, chicken, or beef.
These Baked Sweet Potato Slices are the perfect holiday side dish! Nutritious sweet potatoes are sliced into thick rounds, coated in a simple herb mix, then baked in the oven. It's a classic "set it and forget it" dish that bakes for 40 minutes with no need to flip!
Fresh thyme, sage, honey, and butter are the main flavors in the sweet potato marinade. It just screams cozy comfort food. This recipe is perfect for your holiday table at Thanksgiving or Christmas! Or a side for any weeknight, or date night.
These sweet potato slices pair well with just about any protein—turkey, chicken, beef, ham. They have a natural sweetness and are perfect for the fall and winter seasons. Keep reading to learn how to make them.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Simple side dish that is mostly hands-off.
- Delicious side dish with warm and cozy flavors. With fresh herbs.
- Sweet potatoes are high in vitamin C!
- Made with simple ingredients. Just sweet potatoes & some seasonings.
- Customizable. Use what herbs and spices you have. I suggest 3 flavor pairings.
- Easy to make for a crowd.
- Allergy-friendly. This vegetarian recipe is also nut-free, gluten-free, and easily dairy-free or vegan.
- Tastes like the holidays. These sweet potatoes are perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
Here is everything you'll need to make these baked sweet potatoes:
- Sweet potatoes: larger ones will make larger slices
- Melted butter: sub olive oil for dairy free
- Olive oil: can sub avocado oil or melted coconut oil
- Honey: or maple syrup for vegan
- Salt & black pepper
- Fresh thyme & sage leaves: if you don't have fresh, ½ teaspoon each of dried spices will work just fine.
Can I make this dairy-free? Swap the butter for an equal amount of more olive oil. For vegan, also swap the honey for maple syrup.
More flavor combinations to try!
Baked on your personal preference, replace the honey, thyme, and sage with:
Sweet: ½ teaspoon cinnamon and 2 tablespoon maple syrup or brown sugar
Savory: 1 teaspoon chili powder, ½ teaspoon paprika, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon cayenne
Be sure to read the recipe card below for the full ingredient list and instructions.
Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Wash & peel the sweet potatoes.
(1) Slice into rounds about ¼ - ½" thick with a sharp knife.
(2) Add the sweet potato rounds to a large bowl and add the melted butter, olive oil, honey, salt, & pepper. Add just the thyme leaves and discard the stems. Tear the sage leaves.
(3) Use your hands to mix and ensure all of the sweet potato slices are coated.
(4) Arrange the slices in one layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes until fork-tender. No need to flip.
(5) Serve immediately with your main and enjoy!
What to Serve with Baked Sweet Potato Slices
These baked sweet potato slices are the perfect side dish for holiday dinners. They would be wonderful at your Thanksgiving or Christmas table, and they pair well with just about any protein. Try turkey, roast chicken, pork tenderloin, or roast beef. Here are some of my favorite dishes to pair them with:
- Gluten-Free Garlic Bread
- Gluten-Free Focaccia
- Gluten-Free Cheese Scones
- Gluten-Free No Knead Bread
- Gluten-Free Stuffing
- Roasted Potatoes and Broccoli
- KitchenAid Mixer Mashed Potatoes
- Crunchy Kale Salad
- Beet & Goat Cheese Salad
- Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus
- Charred Corn
Store leftover sweet potato slices in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven or air fryer at 375ºF until warm.
Here are some of my top tips and tricks for successful baked sweet potatoes:
- Cut into even slices. So they cook at the same time.
- Choose your flavoring. I suggest 3 different seasoning flavors.
- Arrange the slices in 1 single layer for even cooking.
- No need to flip them!
- Check the sweet potato slices around 30 minutes and remove when they are done to your liking.
Frequently Asked Questions
I often bake my sweet potatoes at 400ºF. It is the perfect medium of hot enough to cook the thick potatoes through, and not too hot that they burn.
You can slice and marinate the sweet potato slices ahead of time, but I would wait until you're almost ready to serve to put them in the oven for 40 minutes, otherwise they may get cold and soggy.
I have not tried baking these in the air fryer, but I don't see why not. The only issue is that you will not be able to fit many, since you want to cook them in an even layer, not overlapping. I would start them off at 370ºF for 25 minutes, since air fryers tend to cook hotter and quicker. Cooking time will vary, so keep checking until they are fork tender. If they are browning too quickly, turn the temperature down.
You sure can! Cooking time will vary though, so keep checking around 20 minutes.
These baked sweet potato slices are the ultimate holiday healthy side dish! They are made from simple ingredients, have delicious flavors, and are easy to bake hands-off. Enjoy this great side dish with your family on a weeknight, date night, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.
More Side Dishes
Have you made these baked sweet potato slices? I'd very much appreciate it if you leave a 5 star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and review below, and tag me on instagram @fromoliviaskitchen!
Baked Sweet Potato Slices
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes about 2 large or 3 medium potatoes
- 2 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried
- 5 fresh sage leaves or ½ teaspoon dried
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash & peel the sweet potatoes. Slice into rounds about ¼ - ½" thick.
- Add the slices to a large bowl and add the melted butter, olive oil, honey, salt, & pepper. Add just the thyme leaves and discard the stems. Tear the sage leaves. Use your hands to mix and ensure all of the sweet potato slices are coated.
- Arrange the slices in one layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 35-40 minutes until fork-tender. No need to flip.
- Serve immediately with your main and enjoy!
- To make this vegan, use maple syrup instead of honey and all olive oil instead of butter.
- Try different flavor combinations by replacing the honey, thyme and sage with:
- sweet: ½ teaspoon cinnamon and 2 tablespoon maple syrup or brown sugar
- savory: 1 teaspoon chili powder, ½ teaspoon paprika, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- Store leftover sweet potato slices in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven or air fryer at 375ºF until warm.