Enjoy the taste of your favorite holiday coffee in this protein-packed smoothie! All you need are 6 ingredients and 3 minutes to create this delicious shake that tastes like a dessert, yet is packed with protein and healthy fats. It is gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan.
This Peppermint Mocha Protein Shake tastes like a holiday coffee! Yet it is a great way to consume 20-30 grams of protein plus healthy fats. Chocolate protein powder, peppermint extract, and espresso create the delicious familiar flavor of an iced peppermint mocha.
Prepared in 3 minutes from 6 ingredients, this chocolate peppermint protein smoothie is a great option for when you need a quick pick-me-up!
Enjoy as an energizing morning smoothie, post-workout shake, or booze it up by adding your favourite alcohol for a cozy frozen drink. Keep reading to learn just how easy it is to make your favorite drink in a protein shake.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- So much festive flavour! Tastes like an iced peppermint mocha from the coffee shop, yet is healthy enough for breakfast.
- Healthy yet tastes like a dessert.
- Espresso gives you energy for the day ahead!
- A filling snack. Packed with 20-30 g protein and healthy fats.
- Just 6 main ingredients, made in 3 minutes.
- Perfect for breakfast, post-workout, snack or dessert.
- Gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan. Omit the almond butter for nut-free too.
Here are all the ingredients you'll need to make this peppermint mocha protein shake:
This smoothie will have the coldest, creamiest texture if you freeze some cold brew into cubes overnight. If you don't though, that's okay. Throw in a few ice cubes to chill the smoothie.
- Chocolate protein powder: I like to use whey, but vegan protein will work too. I like to use the leanfit chocolate whey protein powder. Protein powder is the best way to increase your protein intake. A chocolate premier protein shake would work too in place of the protein and water.
- Almond butter: This makes the shake creamy and forms almond milk when blended with the water. You could also use peanut butter or cashew butter.
- Maple syrup: For extra sweetness.
- Vanilla extract & peppermint extract: For the peppermint flavor! Just ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract is enough for some big flavor.
- Espresso: I like to add espresso or coffee to double this protein smoothie as my morning pick me up! Don't add it if you don't like coffee. You could also use instant coffee powder.
- Water (& ice cubes if you want): Freeze your favorite cold brew into cubes for even more coffee flavor!
- Optional topping of whipped cream & crushed candy canes
Amp up the nutrition of this protein smoothie recipe with any of your favourite add ins! Try some of these for health benefits:
- Greek yogurt: 1-2 large tablespoons. Or if you're vegan try almond milk yogurt or coconut yogurt.
- Collagen powder
- Chia seeds: Blend them in. Start with 1 tablespoon and increase to 2 if desired.
- Flax Seeds: 1-2 tablespoons
- Oats: Try adding 2-4 tablespoon of hearty oats. Use rolled or quick oats.
- Spinach: 1 large handful.
- Pure maple syrup or honey if you like it sweeter.
- Frozen fruits like strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc. Be sure to increase the water amount if adding more fruit. Note that this will impact the flavor of the smoothie.
There are many ways to change up this smoothie depending on your mood. Here are some substitution suggestions:
- Use frozen cold brew! Instead of plain ice, use frozen cold brew cubes for more coffee flavor.
- More chocolate. For more chocolate flavor, you can add 1-2 tablespoon cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Water. Substitute with your milk of choice if you prefer. Or unsweetened almond milk, oat milk, coconut milk, soy milk, etc.
- Vegan. Use a scoop of protein powder that is vegan.
- Add booze. 1-2 oz baileys, vodka, or chocolate liqueuer are my picks for a delicious frozen cocktail!
Be sure to read the recipe card below for the full recipe.
(1) Add all ingredients to the bucket of a high-speed blender.
(2) Blend for 30-60 seconds until it's a creamy smoothie.
(3) Pour into a glass.
(4) Top with whipped cream and crushed candy canes. Enjoy immediately!
How to Serve
There are many ways to enjoy this healthy peppermint mocha protein smoothie. Here are some suggestions:
- Enjoy as a healthy breakfast or snack on the go.
- Make a blended cocktail by blending in 1-2 oz baileys, vodka, or chocolate liqueur.
- Enjoy at brunch with some of these delicious recipes:
- Gluten-free breakfast casserole
- 4 ingredient vegan pancakes
- Gluten-free cheese scones
- Gluten-free english muffins
- Gluten-free bagels
- If you like hot drinks, try this healthier peppermint mocha.
Make Ahead & Storage
Note that this smoothie recipe is best served and consumed fresh after preparing. It should not be made ahead of time, nor stored for later.
If you're hosting a crowd of people, this chocolate peppermint smoothie is easy to scale up (depending on your blender capacity). Double the recipe for two large smoothies or 4 smaller smoothies.
Here are some of my top tips and tricks for a successful smoothie:
- Use a frozen element. Whether it's simply ice, or frozen cold brew cubes. This will result in the coldest, thickest, creamiest smoothie.
- Add the liquid slowly. You can always add more to thin it out.
- Use a high-powered blender. My two favourite investments are the ZWILLING ENFINIGY power blender or the Vitamix E310.
- Blend for 30-60 seconds until thoroughly pulverized.
- Add extra nutritional benefits with chia seeds, flax seeds, collagen powder, spinach, etc.
- Top with whipped cream and crushed candy canes for some fun!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, if you use vegan protein powder.
Simple omit the espresso and use ice instead of frozen cold brew for a chocolate peppermint smoothie.
This festive peppermint mocha smoothie is perfect for breakfast, post-workout, or just a mid-day snack! The perfect drink for holiday season, but can be enjoyed any time of year when you want a chocolate peppermint flavor. It's made with simple ingredients and blends up quickly so you can get enjoying this holiday recipe!
More Smoothie Recipes
- Cinnamon Roll Protein Shake
- Apple Pie Protein Smoothie
- Peach Cobbler Smoothie
- Blackberry Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Bahama Mama Tropical Smoothie
- Booster Juice "The Original" Copycat
- Booster Juice "Mango Hurricane" Copycat
Have you made this peppermint mocha protein smoothie? I'd very much appreciate it if you leave a 5-star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and review below, and tag me on instagram @fromoliviaskitchen!
Peppermint Mocha Protein Shake
- High-power blender
- 1 serving chocolate protein powder I use whey
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ cup water or milk of choice
- 1 shot espresso
- 4-6 ice cubes or better yet, frozen cold brew cubes
- Optional topping of whipped cream & candy cane crumbs
- Add all ingredients to the bucket of a high powered blender. Blend for 30-60 seconds until smooth.
- Pour into a glass, then top with whipped cream and crushed candy canes. Enjoy immediately!
- I like to use whey protein, but plant based will work too.
- My favorite high powered blenders are the ZWILLING ENFINIGY power blender, and the Vitamix E310.
- Additional nutrition: Add a handful of spinach, collagen powder, chia seeds, or any other nutritional supplements to bulk up this smoothie.
- Instead of ice cubes, try freezing cold brew into cubes. This will make the smoothie thicker and colder with a strong coffee flavour.