Gluten-Free S'mores Cookies
These gluten-free s'mores cookies have all the flavour of the classic campfire treat, in a handheld cookie without the mess. Made in under 1 hour, these cookies are the ultimate summer dessert!
Servings: 20 cookies
- ½ cup salted butter, melted see instructions for how to brown the butter—highly recommended
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour with xanthan gum, I use Bob's Red Mill 1:1 Baking Flour (blue bag)
- ¾ cup crushed gluten-free graham cracker crumbs, about 10 crackers
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt, add a pinch more if using unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped dark chocolate
- ⅔ cup mini marshmallows
Brown the butter (optional but recommended)
Cube the butter and place it into a saucepan. Turn the heat to medium and allow the butter to melt, stirring occasionally. Once melted, it will begin to bubble, foam, and brown. When the butter is an amber colour, pour it into a heatproof bowl, scraping all the brown bits with it. This whole process should take 6-10 minutes. Allow the butter to cool for 10 minutes.
Make the cookies
Preheat the oven to 350ºF and prepare 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. In a large bowl, whisk together the melted brown butter, sugars, vanilla extract, and egg. Add the gluten-free flour, crushed graham crackers, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to the same bowl. Use a rubber spatula to gently mix together the dry ingredients, then fold into the wet ingredients to create the dough. Finally, fold in the chopped chocolate.
Use a 1 tablespoon scoop to scoop the dough into balls. For the best texture, place the balls on a plate or small baking sheet and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes. If you don't have the time, you can bake them immediately.
Place the cookie dough balls on the baking sheets with room to spread. Bake for 7 minutes, then place 3-4 mini marshmallows on each cookie and bake for another 4-5 minutes. For perfectly round cookies, take a large cookie cutter or the top of a glass and gently swirl it around each cookie immediately after removing from the oven. Top with gluten-free graham cracker crumbs.
Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 15 minutes until they are set, then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling. Enjoy warm or allow to come to room temperature.
- Dairy-free? Use an equal amount of dairy-free butter or coconut oil in place of butter. Dairy-free butter won't brown well, so skip that step. Ensure the chocolate is dairy-free.
- Storage: Cookies will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days. Reheat for 10 seconds in the microwave if desired.
- Freezing Cookie Dough: Cookie dough can be rolled into balls and placed on a parchment-lined baking sheet to flash freeze for 10 minutes. This will prevent the cookies from sticking to each other. Then place the cookie dough balls in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Bake at 350ºF for 8 minutes, then top with mini marshmallows and bake for 4-6 more minutes until the edges are golden and the middle is slightly soft.
- Freezing Baked Cookies: Wrap cookies tightly in plastic wrap or tin foil and place in an airtight, freezer safe container. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- To thaw, allow to sit at room temperature for a few hours. Reheat for 10-15 seconds in the microwave if desired.
Nutrition facts are an estimation.
Calories: 165kcal | Carbohydrates: 21.8g | Protein: 1.2g | Fat: 8.8g | Saturated Fat: 4.8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2.4g | Cholesterol: 20.5mg | Sodium: 57mg | Potassium: 71.2mg | Fiber: 1.1g | Sugar: 14.2g | Vitamin A: 46IU | Calcium: 22.3mg | Iron: 0.7mg